2.25.2006

Introduction

There were big plans for this space...

It started with my book. Innocent Creatures. I had worked long and hard on it. I was eager to get it into the air, like all good word viruses should be released into the public for the best possible rate of infection. I was going to record a reading and create a weekly podcast...

However, in conversations on the Brian K Vaughan forum, it was brought to my attention that unless this thing took off spectacularly, it would be seen in the eyes of members of the publishing industry as an enormous Red Flag that I am not one to take a chance on... It would be proof that my work is not marketable, and that no one wants to hear what I have to say.

This podcast could also be seen as me self-publishing my work. Leading to legal tie-ups down the road, or other things I just don't understand yet. Me being an unpublished author, and all.

Normally, when faced with situations that will almost certainly result either in failure or spectacular scarring and permanent physical disfiguring failure, there's no slowing down. The pedal is pushed beyond the floorboards... But this whole "writing thing" is my Plan B in life. I have no other options beyond this that don't involve being homeless and constantly smelling of human waste while requesting money from people at the bottom of freeway off-ramps, in the hopes of securing enough money to die from alcohol poisoning or my liver being transformed from a working organ, into a massive collection of fat cells.

I just couldn't take that chance...

Instead, now I will post the steps I am taking—the progress I am making—on my life's quest to become a writer. And in order to have progress on which to report, I have to start Doing something, now don't I? And the saying goes, after all, that "A good writer writes." So I might as well use this opportunity not only to document what is certain to be a long strange trip, but to also work on the craft. Keep my mind working, muscles strong, and fingers nimble.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's work to be done...

No comments:

Blog Archive